7 Perfect Resolutions for the HP Ink Cartridge Error
HP printers are a part of almost every modern workplace. However, every printer user is familiar with the scenario of wanting to take out an urgent print. But they find their printer not cooperating. The HP ink cartridge error hinders users from completing print jobs.
You can fix this error by performing a printer reset. But if that doesn’t work, it’s a good idea to bypass the printer cartridge error. This article will outline the possible fixes for this problem.
Fix 1: Reset the Printer
Resetting the HP printer makes it recover from various errors or failures. This is the first resolution to follow when problems with ink cartridges arise.
- Remove the rechargeable battery if your printer has it.
- Turn on the HP printer.
- When it is turned on, disconnect the power cord.
- After that, unplug its cord from its power source.
- Now, hold back for around one minute or 60 seconds.
- Next, reconnect this power cord to your wall outlet.
- Reconnect the cord to the printer as well.
- It would be wise to plug the printer directly into the outlet.
- Finish the reset by turning on your HP printer.
Fix 2: Clean the Printer’s Metal Contacts
You must ensure that the printer’s contacts do not have any dirt.
- Power off your HP Printer completely.
- Take out its wire from its outlet.
- Unlock the access door of the printer.
- Now, gently take out the ink cartridge.
- Ensure that you take it out without damaging any other component inside.
- Now find the metal contacts inside the ink cartridge and examine them.
- Take a dry cloth and use it to wipe the cartridge’s metal contacts.
- After that, place them back on the cartridge properly.
- Now you can put the ink cartridge back into its position correctly.
- Finally, power on your HP printing device.
- Take a test print. Check whether the HP ink cartridge error has been resolved.
Fix 3: Replace Incompatible Cartridges
Sometimes, an HP ink cartridge error arises if there’s an incompatibility between your printer and cartridge model number.
Ensure that the numbers match your HP printer and country.
- Open the lid to the cartridge access point.
- Let the cartridge stop moving.
- Only after that, continue.
- Find the cartridge labels and follow these steps according to what you see.
- If you find the printer enrolled in Instant Ink, your printer needs cartridges shipped by HP Instant Ink.
- If the printer isn’t enrolled in Instant Ink, head to the official HP store. From here, find the compatible cartridges for the printer.
- Now that you know the kind of cartridges you have, replace incompatible ones.
- It will do away with the error you are facing.
Fix 4: Replace the Problematic Ink Cartridge
After knowing what kind of cartridge your HP printer has, you can replace the problematic one. Follow these pointers to replace the cartridge.
- Open the lid to the cartridge access point.
- Let the carriage stop moving.
- Now, remove the cartridge that is displayed in the error message.
- After that, position the new cartridge into its slot.
- Repeat these steps if you have more than one problematic cartridge.
- Close the lid to the access area of the cartridge.
- You might get instructions to align your printer afterward.
- Ensure to follow them.
- This will replace the ink cartridge successfully, and you won’t find any error message.
Fix 5: Override Incompatible HP Ink Cartridge
Before progressing, ensure that you have taken out the plastic coverings of the ink cartridge and wiped them properly. To learn how to override HP ink cartridge error, follow these pointers.
- Take out every cartridge from your HP printing device.
- Now put the incompatible cartridge in the printer.
- Turn off the printer.
- Take the wire out of its source.
- Wait for about 15 minutes.
- Now plug the cord back in.
- Turn on your printer.
- Place the other incompatible cartridge in the printer.
- Keep inserting the incompatible ink cartridges one at a time.
- Now turn off your printer and keep it like that for a minute.
- However, the power cord should be plugged in.
- In case your HP printer employs more than two cartridges, keep repeating the process of inserting the ink cartridges and turning off the printer.
- Do this until you’ve placed all the cartridges in the printer.
Override ink cartridge from the HP Smart App
- Launch the HP Smart App.
- Now move to ‘Printer Status.’
- On the HP Smart App, press the printer having an incompatible cartridge.
- Now head towards your HP printer.
- De-link it from the Wi-Fi connection.
- After that, re-link your HP printer to Wi-Fi. It will help fix the error.
Fix 6: Install the Latest Ink Cartridge
Do you find the HP printer not recognizing the ink cartridge error? Here are the pointers to resolve this error.
- Power off your HP printer.
- Now open the printer’s cartridge door.
- Take out the ink cartridge that the printer cannot recognize.
- Put the old cartridge inside the printer. Use the cartridge which was earlier compatible with your printing device.
- Now let the printer remain in an idle state for a few minutes.
- After that, remove the old cartridge.
- Now install the current one.
- After that, restart your HP printing device.
- Hopefully, you will not face the HP ink cartridge error.
Fix 7: Set the Printer to Ignore the Cartridge Ink Level
If you have followed all the steps above but still can’t fix the cartridge, follow this technique. This is an effective way to learn how to override HP ink cartridge error.
- Firstly, look for the option saying, ‘Don’t Show This Again’ on the low ink warning message.
- If you find this option, check it off.
- Go to the ‘Start’ menu of your Windows computer.
- Here, find and choose ‘Printers and Faxes.’
- Locate your printer and right-tap it.
- Now select ‘Properties.’
- Hit the ‘Ports’ tab in this window.
- Tap the box saying ‘Enable bi—directional support.’
- Ensure that the box doesn’t have a checkmark.
- Tap ‘Apply’ followed by ‘OK.’
The HP ink cartridge error is a source of annoyance as it hinders the printing process. But these seven fixes are trusted ones that enable you to troubleshoot it. If you need more assistance fixing it, connect with an HP Printer Support help service.