HP Scanner Not Working – Troubleshooting Steps
Corrupt or outdated drivers can lead to an “HP scanner not working” issue. Apart from this, various other factors are also responsible prevent the scanner from scanning documents. If you are encountering this error, ensure to update the scanner driver, check the connection between the PC & scanner, and fix & identify hardware faults. In case, you are not aware of the hardware parts of your scanner and unable to fix the faults, approach a hardware expert.
So, read our problem-fixing guide below to deal with the problem easily.
Why Is My HP Scanner Not Working?
Sometimes, it is not possible to find the real cause of this problem. As a result, users face difficulty in getting rid of the “Scanner Not Working” error. Let’s take a look at some causes below.
- The scanner is not compatible with the PC
- Hardware glitch
- Connectivity problems
Fix HP Scanner Not Working Windows 10
Let’s go through our tips below to resolve your HP scanner issues in a quick manner.
1. Update HP Scanner Driver
When the scanner stops functioning, it may be due to missing or outdated drivers. Hence, if you are unable to scan documents with your scanner, ensure to update its drivers.
The old version of the driver file impacts the efficiency of the scanner and because of this, many scanning issues appear.
Also, once you update the drivers, possible chance whatever scanning issue you are facing will be resolved.
To update the scanner driver, there are 2 simple ways – 1. Manual 2. Automatic.
If you choose to update the driver through the manual method, it will require you to have some technical information.
However, you can visit the HP official site to download the driver if you are looking for the simplest way.
In case, you are unable to get rid of the problem yet, ensure to check the other step given below in the blog.
2. Diagnosing Hardware Errors
Your HP scanner may stop working if the device has some technical hardware glitches.
In addition, to detect and resolve hardware errors, you can launch the troubleshooter program on your PC.
The diagnosing tool will identify errors and fix them all with ease.
So, check the steps provided below to use the tool to fix scanning errors.
- Primarily, access the “Control Panel” of your computer.
- Next, select the “Troubleshooting” option available on the screen.
- Then, go to the “Hardware & Sound” option.
- After that, click on the “Device & Printer” option.
- Now, your scanner will display if it is connected to a PC.
- Right-click on your HP scanning device and click on the “Troubleshooting” option.
3. Check Network Connectivity
Connectivity plays a vital role in the proper functioning of the scanner. If the device is not connected to the PC in the correct manner, your PC can’t recognize the scanner. As a consequence of this, the scanning stops working well.
For a USB HP scanner, USB cables and slots should be in good working condition.
If wires are damaged & not connected well, the scanner will show a “Not working” message obviously.
Besides, if you are using a network HP scanner, ensure to have good internet connectivity.
4. Run SFC To Find & Repair Scanner Files
System File Check or SFC is an amazing facility using which, one can easily fix printer and scanner issues. This is the quickest way to resolve scanner errors easily. The tool is known to repair damaged or lost files of the scanner.
Moreover, you can simply open the command prompt on your PC and activate this program to fix issues.
Let’s check the steps below to activate SFC:-
- First, open the “Run” dialog box on your PC.
- Next, type “CMD” and press the “Enter” key from your keyboard.
- In addition, avoid clicking the “OK” button to open the command prompt.
- Only press enter key from your keyboard to open the command prompt. This way you will be using the prompt window as an administrator.
- Once the prompt window opens, enter the “SFC/scannow” command and press enter.
- Now, wait for a few seconds until the process is completed.
- Thereafter, enter the “EXIT” command to close the window.
How To Fix “HP Scanner Not Working On Mac”?
You can install the Mac OS X driver software to make the scanner function on your Mac device.
To make the Scanner work on Mac, check a few steps below:-
- First, connect the HP scanner to Mac by plugging it in.
- Second, go to the “Apple” menu and then, “System Settings”.
- After that, click the “Printer & Scanners” option and click “Open Scanner”.
We have done our best in explaining to you how to fix or repair the HP scanner when it stops functioning. However, HP Printer Support will provide you with helpful suggestions and solutions if the scanner is still not working.
- Fixing the HP Printer Not Printing Black Issue
- Fix HP Printer Offline Error With 6 Methods
- How To Resolve “HP Printer Driver Is Unavailable”?
- Resolve the “HP Printer Paper Jam” Problem
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the time, it happens but by following the below steps your HP printer starts scanning again:
Very first, find and open the HP Utility
Now, search for Scan / Scan to PC option
Ensure that the Scan to PC option is enabled
After that, save the settings and restart both your PC & printer
Once you do so, try to scan again.
If your scanner suddenly stopped working then you need to check the internet connection. Between the scanner and your computer check the cable whether it is attached properly from both ends. Despite this, you can also switch to different USB ports on your PC.
How do I get my HP scanner to work?
Very first, you need to check for a Firewall setting on your PC. If the Firewall setting is enabled then it will reject important network connections to work properly. This network connection is used for the network scanning software. Thus, you need to disable this setting and try to scan again.
For your printer model name, search Windows. After that, from the list of results, tap on the printer name. Once you do so, HP Printer Assistant opens. Next, hit on Click Scanner Actions, and then tap on Manage Scan to Computer. To activate the scan, hit on the Enable option.
Usually, this problem is caused by corrupted or outdated device drivers. Follow the steps as it helps your scanner to recognize the computer:
First, you need to install or add a network, Bluetooth scanner, or wireless
Choose the option Start > Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners
After that, open the Printers & Scanners settings
Now, choose the option Add a printer or scanner
Once done, wait for a few seconds until it finds nearby scanners
Next, select the one that you want to use
At last, choose the option “Add Device”